This statement has been prepared to clarify Third Haven's vision, our purpose, our values and what actions or activities we see as important in both the spiritual and physical realms. The hope is that these will help people new to Third Haven understand how we operate, and will also serve as a reference for more experienced Friends.
Third Haven will remain a peaceful, tolerant and viable Quaker community where people seek the Divine in everyday life and share the belief that there is that of God in every human being.
To continue the tradition of offering unprogrammed silent worship in the manner of Friends; to continue to grow in faith and action; to preserve our heritage and build our future.
To live guided by Spirit, following Friends' testimonies of simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality and stewardship.
OUR LONG TERM INTENTIONS:
- Conduct meeting for worship with attention to the presence of God.
- Care for one another.
- Invite and welcome all.
- Offer strong religious education programs for adults and children.
- Encourage and support active engagement in issues of peace and social justice.
- Encourage active involvement in our local community.
- Encourage active participation in the operation of Meeting.
- Preserve historical Meeting Houses.
- Allow Common Room to evolve to serve the needs of our community.
- Maintain all buildings in good repair, in keeping with "Quaker aesthetics":
- Plain yet pleasing design
- High quality materials
- Built to last
- Low maintenance
- Maintain graveyard/memorial areas in good order.
- Keep grounds natural and healthy, for example by eliminating invasive species and planting natives.
- Consider the environmental impact of all decisions relating to operation of the Meeting.
- Consider both long and short term goals in using Meeting financial resources prudently.