Third Haven Friends Meeting Scholarship Committee
2017 Annual Report
Since it was established almost three years ago, the Scholarship Committee has been raising funds for deposit in both an Endowment and an Operating Fund. Income from the Endowment is allocated to the Operating Fund. Scholarships are awarded from the Operating Fund.
Contributions have been received from the Meeting, the Trustees, the Carriage Shed Sale, investment income and individual donors. The committee also encourages planned giving by members and attenders.
The committee allows donors to the Scholarship Fund to earmark their donations either for the Endow-ment and/or the Operating Fund. Donations that are not earmarked for either will go to the endowment fund.
The Committee strikes a balance between informality (no standardized application form) on one hand, and obtaining enough pertinent information to evaluate each applicant fairly on the other. We interview each applicant. The standard scholarship amount is $500 per academic year for full-time students. Up to $1,000 per year may be awarded to students attending Quaker schools and those who demonstrate financial hardship. In determining how much to award, we consider 5 factors:
- Financial need. To assess this, we ask the student: (a) the projected cost of his education; and (b) her Expected Family Contribution as calculated by the U.S. Department of Education or the College Board.
- Academic credentials (grades, honors, advanced placement courses, etc.)
- Participation in Meeting
- Other scholarships received
- Whether the school the applicant wishes to attend is a Quaker school
- Availability of funds to award more than $500 in cases of extreme need
In order to be considered, applications must be written, or Emailed, submitted by the applicant, and received by the posted deadlines unless circumstances prevent doing so.
The Third Haven Scholarship Fund has a number of objectives. They include:
- helping our youth realize they are cared for and supported in their educational quests by all members of the meeting. Through this realization it is our hope that they will feel increased connection to Third Haven Quaker Meeting. Also that the caring that they are receiving is forwarded by themselves in the caring they bring to the world around themselves.
- allowing the members of Third Haven to feel personal satisfaction knowing they are making an important investment in our future through our youth and young adults.
- Assist students and their families financially.
- Strengthen Third Haven Friends Meeting through its assistance and generosity toward our members.
The Scholarship Committee's efforts honor Third Haven's distinguished past on which we can all look back with pride. By helping our young people reach their dreams, we help to ensure that our future is bright.