Third Haven Friends Meeting Trustees
2012 Annual Report
The Trustees are all members of Third Haven Monthly Meeting of the Society of Friends. This body was incorporated in 1948, at which time the Meeting had reached a low point in membership, and there was concern that it might be laid down. The Trustees assumed ownership of the buildings and property and have paid for major, non recurring expenses since then.
In the 1980's they built the Common Room. In the 1990's they provided funding and leadership during the complete restoration of the Old Meetinghouse. These major projects completely depleted the Trustee's financial reserves. Maintaining Third Haven is possible because of gifts and bequests to the Trustees. Some of these gifts have come from Friends, some as memorials, and still others are from generous people not connected to our Meeting—people who admire our beautiful and serene grounds. We are grateful to all those who make this possible.
Since 1990 Trustees have supported many projects, such as building repair and renovation, tree pruning and removal, road and parking lot work, and other miscellaneous “upkeep” projects. Other projects are on the horizon, some involving trees, some work on the old building.
In fiscal year of 2011-2012 our expenses came to $41,000. This included funding structural repair in the Brick Meetinghouse, the refinishing of the floor, a dehumidifier, and half the cost of the new cushions. It covered the cost of repairs done to the Caretaker's Cottage, and insurance for the property. We also contributed $1,500 to the meeting's Scholarship Fund, which we have done on a year to year basis.
Martha Hawkinson, president; Allan Mielke, Treasurer; Diana Rein, Secretary; Kenneth Carroll; Laurence Claggett, Jr.; Sumner Parker; Adrienne Rudge