Pastoral Care Committee: 2021 Committee Report
The Pastoral Care Committee of Third Haven works to provide and maintain a caring meeting community.
The committee is currently represented by the following members: Adrienne Rudge (clerk), Lorraine Claggett, Marsie Hawkinson, Katherine Johnson, Dee Rein, Bill Schauer, Dona Sorce and John Schreiner.
In addition to ongoing efforts to reach out and maintain regular communication and support with individual members and attenders, as well as families and children, the Pastoral Care Committee sponsors the following activities:
- Annual New Members and Attenders Lunch during which the meeting community gathers to welcome new members and attenders.
- Holiday Recognition of children with a Quaker values-based book, a small gift and holiday hospitality.
- Clearness Meetings for the Purpose of Membership for attenders seeking to become members and Quakers seeking to transfer membership to Third Haven as well as for couples wishing to be married under the care of the Meeting.
- End of Life Planning programs that provide information on resources available at Third Haven and in the broader community ranging from housing and assisted living options, home based care, advanced directives and memorial intentions.
- Meetings For Holding in the Light with Attention to Healing during which Friends gather to hold in the light persons and/or events that bring us joy or concern.
- Blue Christmas Service: This is a service is held prior to the Christmas holidays for those who are mourning or thinking of those they have lost.
|Pastoral Care Committee:||Assigned members and attenders:|
|Bill Schauer:||A - CHE (K.)|
|Terry-Thomas Primer:||CLAG - CROS|
|Dee Rein:||CROW - GET|
|Dona Sorce:||GLA - INA|
|Susan Claggett:||JAC - MAR|
|Katherine Johnson:||MAZ - POL|
|Marsie Hawkinson:||POW - SEN|
|John Schreiner:||SHA - VER|
|Lorraine Claggett:||VIR - ZIN|
Whenever we begin the new year with new committee members the meeting community is reapportioned among current Pastoral Care Committee members in the hope of providing all members and attenders with attention and a resource in times of need. Please feel free to contact any Pastoral Care Committee member if they can be of aid to those seeking membership, planning a wedding, or facing other life events. Telephone numbers and mailing addresses of your member can be found in the directory.
Minute about Joys & Concerns:
Our weekly practice of sharing Joys and Concerns at the end of meeting for worship is one way in which our community of Friends becomes aware of important developments in the lives of our members and attenders. Out of concern for the privacy of those we mention during Joys and Concerns, we ask that members and attenders consider the following question: How do we balance our wish to reach out to members and attenders who are having a health crisis, for instance, with that person's right to confidentiality?
Prior to sharing information about a member or attender with the entire meeting, it is suggested that a conversation with that person occur regarding what they would like communicated in the public arena of our meeting. Sometimes it might be a simple wish to be held in the light. We are a caring community and we welcome the opportunity to be able to offer comfort or assistance. Part of that caring is making sure that we honor the wishes of those we would comfort.