First Day School:
Through our children's programming, Third Haven Friends Meeting's goal nurtures the natural spirituality of children and their families, helping them learn and use principles from Quaker history, faith, and values. We honor each child's unique talents and skills, striving to give them the tools, experiences and freedom to pursue their purposes. We emphasize the qualities (called the Quaker Testimonies) of simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality and stewardship. Our curricula focus on service, social action and experiential learning, all growing from our firm believe that world needs what our children can do.
Summer Nature Mindfulness Camp: Camp this summer was so much fun!! The topic for the week was TAKING FLIGHT. We studied the "3 Bs", birds, bugs and bats. We learned about habitat, captured a few bug specimens, made dioramas and engineered different "bird beaks". Click here for the Summer Camp Special edition newsletter.
Fall 2023 Update:
First Day School Activities for Families:
- Oct 15: Quakerism 101 11am, an introduction sponsored by Worship and Ministry committee.
- Oct 21: Family Fun night, time to decorate pumpkins and take a spooky walk in graveyard 530-730pm Dinner provided
- Dec 2: the children will have an “Art” table this year at the TH Art show on 12/2. Ideas for selling homemade items plus we will help sell at the bake table. 10-2 sign up for one hour work slots.
- Ongoing: We are renovating the upstairs children’s space and welcome ideas that speak for children. New bathrooms coming
- The grounds committee is looking for families to “Adopt a tree.” We are currently cataloging all trees on property. Your family can help!! please reach out to Sarah H or Susan Claggett for any questions/concerns.
First Day School Lessons:
- Oct 8: Quaker Testimonies
- Oct 15: Miss Cherie returns for fun and being thankful
- Oct 21: Family Fun night 530-730 Dinner included Bring pumpkin
- Oct 22: Quaker testimonies
- Oct 29: Godly play storytelling
Please contact Susan Claggett with any questions.
Third Haven's First Day School offers spiritual education for children from preschool through high school (in other faiths this might be called Sunday School). We hold First Day School classes during the school year (from the 2nd week in September through the 2nd week in June) from 10 to 11AM. The children join their families with the full Friends Meeting for the first 15 minutes of Meeting for Worship, then attend their classes during the last 45 minutes of Meeting for Worship. The children are taught by a mix of parents, meeting members, and paid teachers. Curriculum is developed for every season and tailored to the group of kids attending, with the help of a First Day School Committee.
We also offer other children's programs, such as summer camps. These will be posted on this page as they are organized.
More about First Day School Lessons:
Third Haven Friends Meeting is hosting another fall calendar of rich, engaging activities for children in our First Day School. Featured programs include:
NATURE SEEKERS:These sessions focus on helping kids build their toolbox of mindfulness techniques through immersion in nature. They will be led by Third Haven's talented summer camp teachers, Cherie Baron and Kristen Hanlon.
FAITH & PLAY STORIES:
These are beautiful stories about the roots of Quakerism and Quaker values, told by teachers trained in a Montessori-inspired manner.
QUERIES & REFLECTIONS:
This monthly dialogue taps into the natural wisdom, curiosity and wonder of young children to explore how to think clearly about life's biggest queries—e.g., What is philosophy? Friendship? Happiness? Justice? Love? How do we know ourselves and what role do we play in the world? For the fall, the emphasis will be on the Quaker value of Peace.
A key theme of Quaker's faith: Let your life speak. Several times a year the kids take social action, offering their time and talent to help heal problems in our community. Recent projects have focused on local child hunger, homelessness, and refugee support. For details, please take a look at the upcoming calendar here.